Tuesday 11 September 2012

Photos of Nottingham

As I posted earlier in the week, I've taken some shots of Nottingham to share with people that I meet in America to give them a sense of where I live.  I haven't properly sorted them out yet, but thought I'd post some of my faves here.  It’s a tough job – I know that people will want to know about my city but I could go on about for hours so wanted to just have a handful of images that capture the sense of the place.  And I tried not to be all trendier-than-thou about it by only including my favourite obscure places, there’s room for the Council House Lions and the Robin Hood statue in this collection! 




I remember when this noticeboard and sign went up people came up to me and asked what the point was, it'll get vandalised within a week.  I'm really proud of the fact that it's still there, undamaged after nearly two years. 



This is Woodthorpe Park - a great green space near to where I live - it's well used and loved by joggers and dog walkers alike and has two great features - a 18 hole pitch-and-putt course and a cafe run as a social enterprise by Framework, the homelessness charity.  



The Lions by the Council House are such an iconic part of Nottingham - I love the lore and tradition that's attached to meeting at the 'Left Lion' - so much so that Nottingham's great free listing paper is named after it and someone's even set up a twitter account for his neglected mate.  






Nottingham's history and heritage as a lace manufacturing city talks to my 'Company Towns' research theme and I always enjoy taking people to walk down Broadway in the historic Lace Market area.  There are some great explanatory plaques there and the contrast between a quiet Sunday morning and a buzzing Friday night is one to be seen to be believed!  



Finally a quick shot from the balcony of the Castle - how green does the city look from here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment